Dave Hwang’s Resumé
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Varsity Football, Club Volleyball, Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity
Linux, OSX, DBA, AOLserver, Apache, Wowza, qmail, DNS, VOIP, AWS, CDN, merchant services, networking
Logic analyzer, oscilloscope, SMT rework, woodworking,
machine shop, network cabling
Board design/layout for high-speed circuits &
signal integrity, high-availabilty/fault-tolerant design, system
architecture, schematic capture, prototyping, debugging, DFM, DFT
Emacs, LaTeX, GIMP, ImageMagick, FFMPEG, Audacity, Aperture, Final Cut Pro, Xcode, audio/video transcoding, vector/raster graphics
Photography, videography, automated document typesetting, network cabling
Volleyball (IVL), Ice Hockey (Shark's Ice), Guitar, Bass
Microprocessor to NAND Flash Interface
Universal Compact PCI pull-up/termination IC
Auto-detection and auto-enable of Compact PCI bus pull-ups
Stackable dual mode (registered/unbuffered) memory
Dual mode (registered/unbuffered) memory interface
Gumbox, LLC — Web Application Development & Hosting
FLEX College Resource Centers
— College Counseling & Test Prep
- Custom Student-centric CRM, including Billing/Invoicing, Contact Log, Contact Info, Student profiles
- Custom paid streaming video subscription service for SAT/AP Courses with custom DRM system for CDN content protection
- Online College Application and College Essay tracking tool for students and counselors
- Class and event registration with online payment processing
- College Admissions Calculator (quantitative modeling of students' chances of admission to a particular school)
- Custom CMS to manage web pages, news, images and files
- Define and manage IT infrastructure, including broadband, LAN, VOIP, Google Apps and AWS
PrivateRaise — Online Financial Data Research
- MySQL and PHP web application development
- Redesigned and templatized public website
- Custom data models and interface for semantic storage of SEC publication data
- Custom query tools for clients on large datasets
- Ported entire site from LAMP to WIMP after acquisition by DealFlow Media.
New Life Mission Churches
— NorCal, Bay Area, Fremont
- Designed and hosted public-facing website and members-only intranet sites
- Developed database and tools for custom printed songbooks and weekly leadsheets
- Produced and hosted sermon podcasts
- Managed mailing lists
Compaq/HP — Hardware Design Engineer, NonStop Enterprise Servers
- Designed reference platform to test and validate the ability to run
Intel Itanium processors in lockstep for fail-fast error detection.
- Developed a workaround to deal with non-deterministic nature of
Itanium initialization to maintain lockstepped operation.
- Designed and developed boards for new Itanium-based loosely-coupled
NonStop architecture. Involved in system level hardware validation
ArsDigita — Senior Software Developer
- Developed SQL Database-backed web applications for online communities
using ArsDigita Community System (Oracle, TCL, AOLServer)
- Taught free weekend, one week, and three week bootcamps where students
would learn database backed web application development.
- System administration: SunRay clusters for boot camps, web server
setup and DBA)
Sun Microsystems — Design Engineer, Java hardware, UltraSPARC boards
- Debugged and validated prototype microSPARC-IIe-based JavaEngine thin clients
- Designed first microJava CPU hardware reference platform for CPU
validation and JavaOS development.
- Debugged memory timing problems on the UltraAX-MP (4-way MP) system
caused by a die shrink in an ASIC. Corrected problems by adjusting
PCB layout of the memory interface.
- Technical design lead for HA/HotSwap CompactPCI board
product, including architectural design, product specification and
Tandem Computers — Hardware Engineer, Processor & Memory Group
- Debugged and validated MIPS R4400-based fault-tolerant Servernet systems,
running both Tandem's NonStop Kernel and Integrity Unix OS.
- Developed test setups using logic analyzers and oscilloscopes to debug lockstep failures.
- Debugged initial manufacturing builds of CPU and service
processor boards to identify issues and make recommendations to
improve DFM and DFT.
- Created a web-based RSVP tool for OS, Firmware, Diagnostics and
QA teams to reserve time on test systems. Responsible for hardware
support of those same systems.
LANart Corporation — Undergraduate Engineering Intern
- Designed schematic & PCB layout of 4-port 10Base2 hub, and 10Base-T adapters.
- Designed prototype ethernet bridge based on the MC68360.
- Assisted in hardware bringup and testing of boards for customer shipments.
Automated Photo ID and Sports Trading Card Creation
Developed a set of unix scripts that use ImageMagick to
automatically generate custom individualized Photo ID cards
for player backpacks, and photo trading cards (e.g. baseball cards)
for Sunnyvale Alliance youth soccer teams.
Automated Song Book and Lead Sheet Typesetting
Developed a custom text file format, LaTeX style sheets, and Perl
scripts to enable quick entry of song lyrics, chords and metadata,
and typesetting of custom songbooks and lead sheets featuring song
lyrics and guitar chords for musicians, and powerpoint slides for
lyrics display from weekly song lists.
Mobile Volleyball League Manager
Created a mobile-accessible website for a volleyball league
(IVL) to record match results and automatically generate weekly
printouts that show overall season standings, weekly matchups and
the previous week's results.
Touchscreen Home Kiosk
Built a custom website with touch-screen enabled web applications:
family photo albums, NOAA weather forecasts, music videos, and
embedded Flash games for kids.
Continuous developer of web based applications since 1995, beginning
with a simple Make Your Own Home Page CGI script hosted at MIT and
listed in Yahoo while it was still http://akebono.stanford.edu/yahoo/
Linux System Administration
Continuous administrator of linux systems beginning with kernel v0.99 and Slackware
on running on a 486.